$1M - $3M
Early Edge California is a nonprofit advocacy group dedicated to promoting early learning across California. We collaborate with key stakeholders to advocate for high-quality teaching for our youngest children, especially those most in need. Since 2003, we have successfully advocated for groundbreaking early learning policies, from establishing transitional kindergarten to improving quality in schools. Together, we can make California the leader in early learning - where teachers are well-trained and fairly compensated for providing high-quality care and instruction – and ensuring that our youngest kids are set up for success in school and in life.
About Early Edge
Early Edge is a network-powered advocacy initiative that learns from and partners with a network of
implementers and researchers to collaboratively advocate for changes and investments in early
childhood programs that support high-quality teaching and caregiving for children from birth to age
The mission of Early Edge is to create a California in which early childhood educators have the
knowledge, skills, and competencies to provide high-quality, developmentally appropriate care and
instruction—ultimately resulting in better outcomes for kids. Early Edge does this by advocating for
policy changes and investments that increase opportunities for early childhood educators to receive
high-quality, evidence based, culturally and linguistically competent preparation, certification, and
ongoing professional learning.
Early Edge has led early childhood advocacy efforts since 2003, and over recent months, has undergone an intensive planning process to determine the focus of its next phase of work. While the organization will continue to be a strong voice for increased access to quality early childhood experiences, moving forward it will use its advocacy leadership and capacity in this broader context to drive an agenda focused on helping California attract, develop, and retain effective early childhood educators as the lynchpin of quality.
For more information on Early Edge, please visit www.earlylearninglab.org/what-we-do/early-edge/ and for more information on New Venture Fund, please visit www.newventurefund.org.
Early Edge is seeking a talented individual to work closely with the Executive Director to oversee the
design, implementation, and documentation of the organization’s next phase of work. This is a great
opportunity for an individual with a deep commitment to early education who is interested in taking on
the challenge of improving early education in California through high-quality early childhood educators.
The Policy and Advocacy Director will:
• Provide deep early education policy expertise in early childhood workforce and dual language
learners and bring broad networks to the work of Early Edge.
• Lead the development and implementation of Early Edge’s advocacy local and state advocacy
agenda and campaigns, in close collaboration with the executive director.
• Represent Early Edge to the early education community, including stakeholders, representatives
from community-based organizations and institutions.
• Engage with and lead local and statewide network members to develop and implement shared
campaigns and messaging.
• Manage project coordinators charged with convening early childhood networks on different
topics including educator preparation and dual language learners.
• Develop and maintain strong relationships with California statewide and local policymakersin
collaboration with the State Policy Director.
• Inform and implement network-building strategies.
Required Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
• Passion for and commitment to the mission of Early Edge
• Expertise in early childhood policy, including workforce and dual language learners
• 7 – 10+ years of relevant professional experience, preferably in a nonprofit advocacy context
• Bachelor’s degree; an advanced degree in a relevant area of study is desirable but not required
• Strong political and strategic skills, with experience building and managing coalitions to advance
• Demonstrated thorough knowledge of public policy as well as knowledge of the organization,
functions, process and procedures of the California Legislature
• Excel in project management, have multidisciplinary project skills and are persuasive verbal and
• Experience successfully managing, developing and engaging staff
• Have excellent interpersonal skills and are passionate about building strong relationships and
networks of partner organizations and institutions
• Are action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and have an innovative approach to planning and
Commensurate with Experience
How to Apply:
How to Apply
New Venture Fund Careers
Early Edge is a project of the New Venture Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and
innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. The New Venture Fund is committed to
attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is
dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. The New Venture Fund's work
environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color,
religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age,
disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the
locality and/or state in which you are working.